[PODCAST] Coach and Coordinator: Kyle Ralph (6/16/17)
By Stephen Spiewak | Posted 6/16/2017
Photo via Greenfield Reporter
Kyle Ralph is today’s guest on the USA Football Coach and Coordinator podcast. Ralph, a graduate of St. Xavier High School (Cincinnati), is currently the head coach at New Palestine (Ind.), which he’s led to a 22-2 record over the last two seasons. He discusses how he disguises his Inside Zone, his use of Power Spread and how he builds culture through a leadership council of players.
- :32 Start as a football coach
- 2:37 Key takeaways as a young coach
- 4:40 Impact on coaching philosophy
- 6:25 "The kids are always first."
- 8:05 Establishing culture and Ralph’s “Leadership Council” of players
- 12:55 Power Spread
- 14:37 Disguising inside zone
- 18:05 Adjusting week to week
- 22:54 3x1 Flood
- 25:49 Mistake as a young coach
- 32:04 Young coaches need to be prepared to work hard
- 33:45 Concerns for the game
- 38:29 "We do the shoulder tackling stuff"
- 40:33 Two-minute drill
Subscribe to the USA Football Coach and Coordinator podcast on iTunes.