We're a special bunch. I mean, let's face it. It definitely takes a special type of mama to let her child play tackle football.
Here are 10 telltale signs that you're probably a football mom...
1. You take your summer vacations BEFORE the start of the season. Beach trip in August? Where they do that at!? August is for tackling, not building sand castles!
2. Your team colors are the new black! You are constantly browsing store aisle after store aisle for anything and EVERYTHING in them; nail polish, hats, bracelets, sweatshirts. You name it, you've got it. In fact, you have an entire dresser drawer that's dedicated entirely to football season!
RELATED CONTENT: Not all sports moms are created equal, and that's OK
Are you the parent of a youth, middle school or high school football player who’s looking for more tips or resources? Check out our Parent Guide, Parents 101 course, nutritious recipes and more.
3. You don't eat dinner before 8 p.m. You're at the football field for two hours every evening. Even if you could eat dinner before practice, why would you? Your player is going to be STARVING afterward. Why make extra work for yourself?
4. You make your grocery list with your child's teammates in mind. As a matter of fact, you ditched the grocery store altogether! You buy all of your fruit and snacks in bulk. How else will you be able to feed the entire small army team?
5. You can slice 10 large, navel oranges in no time. Heck, you can probably slice them with your eyes closed. Just kidding about the eyes-closed part. Please don't attempt that!
RELATED CONTENT: Here's why I invest so much time with my children in youth sports
6. Your car smells like a portable locker room. Shoulder pads + helmets + gloves + super sweaty kids ... need I say more?
7. You have no free Saturdays from August until November. And you're all good with that. There's not a place you'd rather be than on the bleachers cheering for your kid and their team!
8. Your kitchen cupboard is filled with more water bottles than cups. And you're not ashamed to drink out of them yourself. It's 5 p.m. somewhere, right?
9. You have no voice on Sundays. You were cheering and yelling, "HIT HIM!" at the very top of your lungs the previous day. No shame in your game. If you're not their No. 1 fan, who else will be?!
RELATED CONTENT: An open letter from a football mom
10. You're 30-something and can still fit into a size youth large. Not really. Not at all actually. But you do your BEST to squeeze into their extra practice jersey on game days. Work it, girl!
Good luck this season, mamas!
Vanessa Mejia is the mother of three football-playing boys, ages 14, 12 and 9, and lives in northern Virginia. Her boys also play basketball, soccer and track and field. Her husband coaches football in the Fairfax County Youth Football League. She shares Team Mom ideas, tips and tricks along with other facets of her family’s life away from the football field. Read more of her work at https://confessionsofasportsmama.blogspot.com